Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fedor Emelianenko visits Tiger Schulmann's of Manhattan


Fedor rolled into town and made an appearance at Tiger Schulmann's. He made a stop at Farrell's show on Sirius. Farrell admitted that he trains at the facility which is nifty and admirable. I think we're both part of that demographic that has been more or less deemed as soon to be extinct by most conventional mindsets.
We're supposed to just eat our psyllium husks and monitor our blood pressure and stools. I tell these fux at work that I skateboard, do yoga, chi-kung and want to re-vist some tae kwon do/kick boxing they look at me as if I'm out of my fucking mind. Which is a good place to be.
Anyway, Farrel did a decent interview with a drowsy Fedor who had to speak through a translator which is really tough to sit through, as most of our Americana like "wedgies" doesn't translate well into other languages. I once worked with a Ukrainian and 99% of my attempts at humor tanked. Oh well.
MMA has turned into a one time ignored area in news media sites like Topix. Now there are a slew of experts commenting on the sport and there exposure has been two or three years tops. The most recent fighters are the greatest and best, any references before UFC 44 lost in obscurity. A lot of hostility has been directed towards places like Tiger Schulmann's for incorporating MMA into their name.
The voices say it's McDojo MMA and there are more sincere people out there. Meanwhile I think every martial arts place around town is offering some sort of MMA and some Billy Blanks geared "cardio kickboxing". I'm not going to say what's the real deal or not. I've seen what I would've deemed real deal come and go out of business due to reasons that would be considered obnoxious bullshit at any place of employment.
I understand the need for traditional martial arts and the whole shebang. Though I wonder when you're speculating on someone else's mma credibility, why you're spending months on katas with the kids. Where would that serve as useful. It looks beautiful when perfected, but the only thing that horse stance to downblock to forward step will get you in a ring or on the streets is mouthful of knocked out teeth. That's a whole other story. Stop the hating and be glad people aren't staying home and playing with their wii wii-s

No comments: